Floods: Fairfax Prepares Day 16
There are many ways to stay safe from floods:
- Do not drive in flooded roads – “turn around, don’t drown.” The depth, current and condition of the road are all unknowns and can be deadly.
- If your vehicle stalls on a flooded road and water is rising, get out of car, call 911, and move to higher ground.
- Be aware of streams, drainage channels, canyons, and other areas known to flood suddenly.
- Please keep your children inside and away from streams and creeks.
- Be especially cautious during periods of limited visibility or nighttime when it is extremely difficult to see and judge conditions.
THE ASK: Review this map of roads that historically flood in Fairfax County and note which ones are near your home or part of your commute. Keep these roads in mind if flash flood watches or warnings are in effect.