Impending Weather Affects Some Programs and Public Meetings
Posted at 11:55 a.m.
UPDATED 2:40 p.m.
- The Fairfax County Public Library and its branches will close at 6 p.m. this evening.
- All Neighborhood and Community Services facilities and programs will be closing at 6 p.m. this evening.
- Channel 16’s “Your Community, You’re Connected,” scheduled for this evening, has been cancelled. The program has been rescheduled for Feb. 7 at 7 p.m.
Due to today’s hazardous weather outlook, several county programs and meetings are affected this afternoon and evening.
County and School Status
- All Fairfax County Public Schools are closing two hours early today, Tuesday, Jan. 29. School Age Child Care (SACC) centers will remain open until 6:15 p.m.
- Fairfax County Government offices and the Fairfax County Circuit Court, General District Court and Juvenile and Domestic Relations District Court remain open at this time.
Parks, Community and Recreation and Community Centers
- Because of the school closure, Park Authority programs held at Fairfax County Public School locations are cancelled today from 4 p.m. on, including evening activities. At this time, classes held at RECenters and other Park Authority facilities will proceed as scheduled. If you have questions about Park Authority facilities, contact the site directly, call the Parks inclement weather line at 703-324-8661, TTY 711, or visit fairfaxcounty.gov/parks.
- Due to the expected inclement weather, several operational status adjustements have been made for Department of Neighborhood and Community Services programs and events. Visit fairfaxcounty.gov/neighborhood-community-services/tuesday-jan-29-inclement-weather-status-update-details for details.
- The Reston Community Center and the McLean Community Center may be affected by the inclement weather. Call RCC at 703-476-4500, TTY 711, restoncommunitycenter.com or MCC at 703-790-0123, TTY 711, www.mcleancenter.org for their current operating status.
Transportation: Connector, Fastran
- Fairfax Connector bus service may be affected by the inclement weather. Check the Connector Web page at fairfaxcounty.gov/connector for the current operating status.
- FASTRAN will transport dialysis, chemotherapy and radiation trips as scheduled. All other scheduled route services are cancelled. For information about FASTRAN, call 703-222-9764, TTY 711, or online at fairfaxcounty.gov/neighborhood-community-services/transportation/fastran.
- Library hours may be affected; call your local branch before visiting. For branch phone numbers, call 703-324-3100 or go to fairfaxcounty.gov/library.
The following advertised public meetings have been cancelled.
- 3 p.m. – Board of Supervisors Health, Housing, and Human Services Committee
- 6:30 p.m. – Fairfax County Board of Supervisors Affordable Housing Resources Panel
- 7 p.m. – Lincolnia Planning District Study Task Force Meeting
For more information on advertised public meetings of Fairfax County Government Boards, Authorities or Commissions, visit www.fairfaxcounty.gov/Calendar.
Additional Information Sources
Emergency information is available on Fairfax County’s website and the Emergency Information Blog, Facebook, Twitter, Fairfax Alerts or by calling the Fairfax County Emergency Information Hotline at 703-817-7771, TTY 711. Fairfax County Government Radio will also announce county government closings.
Fairfax County Snow Guide can be found online at www.fairfaxcounty.gov/snow.