NOAA Releases 2018 Atlantic Hurricane Season Outlook
Posted at 11 a.m.
Forecasters at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s (NOAA) Climate Prediction Center say the Atlantic could see another above-normal hurricane season this year, which extends from June 1 to Nov. 30.
NOAA’s Climate Prediction Center is forecasting a 75-percent chance that the 2018 Atlantic hurricane season will be near- or above-normal. Forecasters predict a 35 percent chance of an above-normal season, a 40 percent chance of a near-normal season, and a 25 percent chance of a below-normal season for the upcoming hurricane season.
While hurricanes typically don’t strike Fairfax County directly, we often feel the effects of these storms with high winds and heavy rainfall, which can lead to localized flooding. Here are a few preparedness steps you can take today.
- Make a family emergency communication plan.
- Be sure to include your pets in your emergency preparedness planning.
- Identify an out of town emergency contact to coordinate information with family and friends.
- Keep an emergency kit where you spend time — home, car and work.
- Practice your preparedness plans with a drill or exercise.
- Sign up for local weather alerts and warnings from Fairfax Alerts.
- Check your insurance coverage and know if you have flood and wind protection.