Wind Storm Update for Sunday, March 4
Posted at 9:35 a.m.
ecovery operations continue today from the damaging wind storm across the county and the region. As of 9 a.m. this morning, there were still over 33,000 power outages in Fairfax County, affecting some traffic signals, as well as county and school facilities.
County Facility Status
- Schools – Activities scheduled in Fairfax County public schools or on school grounds are canceled today, Sunday, March 4.
- Parks and Recreation – All Park Authority programs at Fairfax County Public School locations are canceled for Sunday, March 4.
- South Run RECEnter will open today at noon.
- Spring Hill RECenter remains closed due to power outages.
- The gates at Lake Accotink Park and Burke Lake Park are closed to vehicular traffic but the parks are open.
- Riverbend Park and Ellanor C Lawrence are both without power.
- Clemyjontri Park is open but bathrooms are closed.
- The Park Authority continues to evaluate other sites and we encourage you to call the facility before going. To report a downed tree in the parks, visit www.fairfaxcounty.gov/parks/tree-removal.
- Libraries (Updated at 10:25 a.m) – The Chantilly Regional Library remains closed today due to a lack of power. All other regional library branches will open as scheduled at 1 p.m.
If you are without power, please report it.
- For Dominion Energy, call 1-866-366-4357 or report it online at www.dom.com/outage-center.
- For NOVEC, call 1-888-335-050 or report it online at www.novec.com/stormcenter.
Stay away from downed wires as they may be live with electricity.
Today it will be sunny with a high near 48. North winds 16 to 18 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph. Tonight, clear, with a low around 27. North winds around 14 mph, with gusts as high as 22 mph. Then on Monday, it will be sunny with a high near 45. North winds 10 to 14 mph, with gusts as high as 22 mph. More on the forecast.