What To Do If You Have Storm Damage

Posted at 3:45 p.m.

There has been a significant amount of home and car damage related to the wind storm. If you have a safety concern, only call 9-1-1 for emergencies; otherwise call 703-691-2131.

If your power is out, contact your provider:

Here are some tips and resources to help you with storm damage:


  • Contact your insurance company or agent to report any claim that you may have.
  • If you do not know your insurance company’s telephone number or otherwise need assistance, contact the Bureau of Insurance at 804-71-9741 or toll-free 1-800-552-7945, or email bureauofinsurance@scc.virginia.gov.
  • If you experience problems contacting your insurance company, you need to be persistent. Some insurance companies may have problems with their phone lines due to a high volume of calls, etc.
  • Take pictures of your damaged property so that these can be given to your insurance company. You should also save any receipts for repair costs and do anything that is appropriate to prevent any further damage to your property.
  • If you experience problems in getting your claims paid or have general insurance questions, the bureau has specially trained representatives that can provide you assistance.

Get more information on insurance from the Virginia State Corporation Commission.


The aftermath of severe storm damage often results in an increase in consumer complaints resulting from contractor fraud or shoddy repairs by unlicensed contractors. If you have a question contact Consumer Affairs at 703-222-8435, TTY 711, to speak to a consumer specialist. Business hours are 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.

  • Always ask to see a copy of a contractor’s license from the Virginia Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation (DPOR). You can visit DPOR’s website to check for a valid contractor’s license or call 804-367-8511, TTY 711. Any contractor seeking work through home solicitation must carry a solicitor license issued by the Fairfax County Department of Cable and Consumer Services.
  • Call the Fairfax County Department of Land Development Services Permits Branch, at 703-222-0801, TTY 711, to determine whether a permit is necessary for the intended work. Ask for information on each contractor’s licensing and disciplinary status.
  • Obtain bids from three contractors, ask for three references from each and find out if the contractor provided a monetary discount or payment in exchange for using a consumer as a reference.
  • Information on filing a complaint: www.fairfaxcounty.gov/consumercomplaint/.

Get more information on hiring contractors from Fairfax County Consumer Affairs.


About Fairfax County Emergency Information

Official emergency information about preparedness, response and recovery from Fairfax County Government.

7 responses to “What To Do If You Have Storm Damage”

  1. Doralisa Pilarte says :

    A tree service company rep said he doesn’t need a license in order to remove the gigantic pine that crashed into my house during the windstorm. Is that correct?