Severe Thunderstorm Warning Issued for Fairfax County
Posted at 4:35 p.m.
The National Weather Service in Sterling has issued a Severe Thunderstorm Warning until 5:15 p.m. for parts of Fairfax County.
At 4:24 p.m., severe thunderstorms were located along a line extending from Mclean to Springfield, moving east at 35 mph; 60 mph wind gusts are possible.
- Damaging winds will cause some trees and large branches to fall. This could injure those outdoors, as well as damage homes and vehicles.
- Roadways may become blocked by downed trees.
- Localized power outages are possible.
- Unsecured light objects may become projectiles.
Precautions / Preparedness Actions
- Get indoors to protect yourself from wind and lightning.
- Trees around you may be downed from damaging winds, so if you are near large trees, move to an interior room on the lowest floor.
- Don’t drive underneath trees or in wooded areas until the threat has passed.