VDOT Crews Clearing All Roads, Including Subdivisions
Posted 4:10 p.m.
(From the Virginia Department of Transportation, which is responsible for most roads in Fairfax County)
As of 3 p.m., interstates in Northern Virginia are improving quickly, with most pavement showing. Major routes are in minor to moderate condition, and secondary roads remain moderate to severe. Crews are also working around the clock to clear the 16,000 neighborhood streets in Fairfax, Loudoun and Prince William counties.
Crews are working hard to make major routes passable today and tomorrow. With the extremity of this storm and the need for special equipment to move snow in subdivisions, crews are working to make all neighborhood roads passable over the next several days. Check www.vdotplows.org for plow progress near your house.
Drivers are reminded to not travel today, as traffic will hinder plows.
What Residents Should Know
- Plows will provide a path through neighborhoods that is drivable with caution for an average passenger vehicle. The path will not be curb-to-curb or bare pavement, and may remain uneven and rutted, especially with refreeze.
- Chemicals are not typically used in subdivisions, but crews will sand hills, curves and intersections as needed to provide traction.
- In many neighborhoods, front-end loaders and motor graders will be required to move snow where there is not enough room to push.
- Crews are asked to be mindful of pushing large piles onto driveways, but in an extreme storm is an unintended consequence of making roads passable.
- To give crews a chance to finish their plow assignments, VDOT asks that residents wait 48 hours after the storm is over before reporting “missed” roads.
Special Equipment Sought for Neighborhoods
VDOT invites contractors with loaders, motor graders and operators to contact VDOT Northern Virginia’s procurement office at 703-259-3240.
Other VDOT Resources
- Checkwww.511virginia.org for road conditions
- Follow @VaDOTNOVAon Twitter
- If you are shoveling your driveway,view this video for helpful tips.
- Call center: