Preparing for Floods
Posted 2:02 p.m.
If you think you may need sandbags to protect your property from flooding, especially in areas that historically flood, please visit a local hardware store and get supplies there, but please do so by Sunday afternoon as the weather will start to deteriorate.
Here are some important phone numbers to call in case you experience flooding when the storm strikes:
- Rising water that threatens your safety, call 9-1-1
- Storm flooding during regular business hours (Monday-Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.), call 703-877-2800, TTY 711
- For after-hours storm flooding emergencies that are not life threatening, call 703-323-1211, TTY 703-239-8498, and state that you are reporting a storm sewer emergency
- For sanitary sewer flooding, call 703-323-1211, TTY 703-239-8498
- If you have damp walls or floors, contact a water removal or restoration company
Review additional flood safety tips.