County Government Preparations for Hurricane Sandy
Posted 3:46 p.m.
We’ve already asked you to get prepared for Hurricane Sandy and we will continue to ask as the storm approaches.
Here’s a selected snapshot of what we’re doing to prepare:
- Public works will be examining and clearing drains at areas known to flood.
- Our Facilities Management Department is checking on generators at county facilities to ensure operations can continue.
- The Police Department is pre-staging supplies and resources throughout the county for traffic and other issues.
- Our Fire and Rescue Department is also preparing, including pre-deploying swift water rescue equipment.
- The Health Department is coordinating with local hospitals, nursing homes, and dialysis centers about emergency plans.
- Human services agencies are making plans for the most vulnerable in our community, as well as planning any shelters that may be needed. Programs like Meals on Wheels delivered shelf-ready food today in case deliveries can’t be made early next week and residents lose power.
- County agencies have talked with utility companies such as telephone and power, as well as other government agencies such as the Virginia Department of Transportation.
Here’s a video of Deputy County Executive for Public Safety Dave Rohrer describing what we’re doing and also encouraging you to prepare, too.