Protect Your Digital Presence: National Cyber Security Awareness Month
Posted 9:04 a.m.
October is National Cyber Security Awareness Month, designed to engage and educate public and private sector partners through events and initiatives with the goal of raising awareness about cybersecurity and increasing the resiliency of the nation in the event of a cyber incident.
You can follow simple steps to keep yourself and your personal assets and private information safe online. Here are a few tips all Internet users can do to practice cybersecurity:
- Set strong passwords and don’t share them with anyone.
- Keep your operating system, browser and other critical software optimized by installing updates.
- Maintain an open dialogue with your family, friends and community about Internet safety.
- Limit the amount of personal information you post online and use privacy settings to avoid sharing information widely.
- Be cautious about what you receive or read online – if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
October 2012 marks the ninth annual National Cyber Security Awareness Month sponsored by the Department of Homeland Security in cooperation with the National Cyber Security Alliance and the Multi-State Information Sharing and Analysis Center.