Turning Off Utilities: Fairfax Prepares Day 19
Posted 4:32 p.m.
It’s important to be prepared to do this.
- Locate the electric, gas and water shut-off valves.
- Keep necessary tools near gas and water shut-off valves.
- Teach family members how to turn off utilities.
- If you turn the gas off, a professional must turn it back on. Do not attempt to do this yourself.
If you rent an apartment, you may not have access to all of these utilities as some are common to a whole building, so be aware of what you are responsible for. If you have elderly neighbors who need assistance turning off utilities, please consider lending a hand.
THE ASK: This weekend, familiarize yourself with what utilities you have in your home and learn how to turn them off, keep the needed tools nearby and teach others who live with you to know how, too. View this excellent resource from a fellow emergency management office that describes some of the basics.
TELL US you’ve done this:
- Post a quick reply in this blog’s comments section below such as “I’ve done this.”
- Use the Twitter hashtag #fairfaxprepares and tweet your accomplishment. Include photos if you’d like.
- Like our special Facebook page for this campaign to leave comments and share tips with your friends.
- Email us at email@example.com that you accomplished an ask.
SHARE THIS TIP:
- Click the links below to email, share on social media or print a hard copy. Thanks!