Floods: Fairfax Prepares Day 16
Posted 8:45 p.m.
There are many ways to stay safe from floods:
- Do not drive in flooded roads – “turn around, don’t drown.”
- If there is any possibility of a flash flood, move immediately to higher ground. Do not wait for instructions to move.
- Be aware of streams, drainage channels, canyons, and other areas known to flood suddenly. Flash floods can occur in these areas with or without such typical warnings as rain clouds or heavy rain.
- Please keep your children inside and away from streams and creeks.
- When flooding is predicted, keep your vehicle parked in your garage or on the driveway away from low-lying areas and large drains.
- Be especially cautious during periods of limited visibility or nighttime when it is extremely difficult to see and judge conditions.
THE ASK: Within one week, review this list of roads that historically flood in Fairfax County and note which ones are near your home or part of your commute. Keep these roads in mind if flash flood watches or warnings are in effect.
TELL US you’ve done this:
- Post a quick reply in this blog’s comments section below such as “I’ve done this.”
- Use the Twitter hashtag #fairfaxprepares and tweet your accomplishment. Include photos if you’d like.
- Like our special Facebook page for this campaign to leave comments and share tips with your friends.
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org that you accomplished an ask.
SHARE THIS TIP:
- Click the links below to email, share on social media or print a hard copy. Thanks!