Multiple Languages: Fairfax Prepares Day 14
Posted 3:32 p.m.
That’s one measure of how diverse our community is today. We see it in other ways, too, from great ethnic restaurants to diverse faith communities.
While we will predominantly publish emergency information in English, we need our whole community to be engaged in emergency preparedness.
Our Office of Emergency Management is hosting a preparedness session for English as Second Language leaders on Thursday, Sept. 20, from 10 to 11 a.m. at our emergency operations center. Emergency preparedness materials will be available in Arabic, Chinese, Farsi, Korean, Urdu, Spanish and Vietnamese. Take-home packets will be available for distribution to members of your organizations. Register by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For those of you with family, friends or faith community members who need additional information, here are some resources to consider:
- Our county website can be machine-translated into 65 languages. Visit www.fairfaxcounty.gov/emergency and then scroll to the bottom of the page and click “Language Translations” to convert the site from English to the language of your choice.
- The Virginia Department of Emergency Management offers preparedness brochures in 10 key languages. These can be printed and shared with people you know who speak those languages.
THE ASK: Share one (or more) of the above ideas (Sept. 20 training, machine-translated website, preparedness brochures) with people you may know who would benefit from information in their native language.
TELL US you’ve done this:
- Post a quick reply in this blog’s comments section below such as “I’ve done this.”
- Use the Twitter hashtag #fairfaxprepares and tweet your accomplishment. Include photos if you’d like.
- Like our special Facebook page for this campaign to leave comments and share tips with your friends.
- Email us at email@example.com that you accomplished an ask.
SHARE THIS TIP:
- Click the links below to email, share on social media or print a hard copy. Thanks!