Power Outages: Fairfax Prepares Day 7
Posted 9:43 a.m.
Hundreds of thousands in our community lost electricity because of the powerful derecho storm the night before. Power outages can range from a nuisance because you can’t watch your favorite TV show or use a microwave to life threatening impacts if you need power to supply a medical device.
Power outages can be weather related or not. It’s never easy to predict when you may lose power at your home or business.
There are many things you can do to prepare for potential power outages such as having flashlights/batteries (but NOT candles due to accidental fire risks) and deciding on a plan to continue with medical treatments as needed during an outage.
THE ASK: Save your power company’s phone number to report outages on paper, phone or other device so you can access it safely. It’s the fastest task you can do during a power outage. Do not assume your utility company knows about your outage. As Dominion Virginia Power advises, “While you and your neighbor may live next door or across the street from each other, different power lines may serve each side of the street.”
TELL US you’ve done this:
- Post a quick reply in this blog’s comments section below such as “I’ve done this.”
- Use the Twitter hashtag #fairfaxprepares and tweet your accomplishment. Include photos if you’d like.
- Like our special Facebook page for this campaign to leave comments and share tips with your friends.
- Email us at email@example.com that you accomplished an ask.
- Dominion Virginia Power
- Ready.gov Blackouts
- Generator Safety from Virginia Department of Emergency Management
SHARE THIS TIP:
- Click the links below to email, share on social media or print a hard copy. Thanks!