Morning Commute Reminders
Posted 5:15 a.m.
Good morning as another commute begins today. Allow extra time whether you travel by car, bus, train, bike or foot.
Here’s what you need to know:
To help ease delays on arterial routes due to signal outages, VDOT will lift the high occupancy vehicle (HOV) requirement of two or more passengers on Interstate 66 inside the Beltway during the a.m. (eastbound) and p.m. (westbound) rush hours. Regular HOV restrictions will remain in effect on I-66 outside the Beltway and on I-95/395. More details from VDOT
- Traffic Signals
Dozens and dozens of traffic signals remain without power. Drivers should:
- Treat each traffic light as a four-way stop, with the driver on the right having the right-of-way.
- Proceed with caution only when traffic permits.
- Enter intersections only when it is safe to do so, using turn signals to let other motorists know your intentions.
- Yield to pedestrians in crosswalks.
- Watch out for and obey police officers directing traffic within intersections.
- 9-1-1 and Non Emergency Number
If you need to call 9-1-1 for an emergency during your commute or if you need to call the non-emergency number to report an accident, then please only call 9-1-1 if you have an emergency. If for some reason you are unable to reach 9-1-1, use these alternate numbers: 703-691-7561 or 703-691-3680. These two numbers may be used for either emergency or non-emergency calls.
- Fairfax Connector
For Connector bus updates, visit its Facebook page.