Save Money During Sales Tax Holiday May 25-31
Plan to go shopping the last week of May to save money on many useful items. Virginia’s Hurricane Preparedness Sales Tax Holiday is May 25-31. During that week, stock up on supplies for protecting home and business during hurricane and flooding season. Hurricane Irene affected our area last year and portions of Fairfax County were affected by floods due to Tropical Storm Lee. Those and other hazards can strike at any time, so it’s important to be prepared.
Many everyday items are exempt; add them to your family emergency supply kit. Shop for items on this list that have a price of $60 or less:
• Artificial ice, blue ice, ice packs, reusable ice
• Batteries (excluding car or boat batteries)
• Portable self-powered light sources, including flashlights and lanterns and glow sticks
• First-aid kits
• Cellphone chargers
• Weather Band Radios and NOAA Weather Radios
• Portable self-powered radios, including radios with electrical power capability
• Bottled water of any size, including flavored, carbonated and vitamin water
• Two-way radios
• Manual can openers
• Tarps, plastic sheeting, plastic dropcloths
• Bungee cords and rope
• Ground anchor systems or tie-down kits
• Ratchet straps
• Duct tape
• Carbon monoxide and smoke detectors, fire extinguishers
• Empty gas, propane or diesel fuel tanks or containers
• Water storage containers such as buckets, barrels, canteens, coolers
These items are also eligible with a sales price of $1,000 or less:
• Portable generators and generator power cords.
• Inverters and inverter power cables.