One Year Later: January 2011 Snowstorm
One year ago today, our region was paralyzed by a late afternoon snowstorm that caused epic commutes of more than 10+ hours for many people. Since that storm, Fairfax County, state and regional jurisdictions have worked together to improve snow preparedness and response (and in fact, preparedness for any event).
We’ve improved communications. You can now stay connected:
- On this new county emergency blog
- On the county’s new iPhone and Android apps, as well as our new mobile website
- Get updates through county Facebook and Twitter accounts
- Subscribe to county emergency text/email alerts
- Find Virginia Department of Transportation snow plowing status updates by neighborhood on a new VDOT website launched this week
- For a regional picture of news and updates, visit www.capitalregionupdates.gov for a comprehensive look at all emergency updates from Virginia, Maryland and DC governments
- And with regards to snow, the region unveiled its “Get Where You Need to Be Before the Weather Gets Bad” campaign aimed at trying to minimize the challenges of what happened one year ago today – we do not want history repeating itself!
Now that Fairfax County and the region have taken some steps forward, what can you do?