Wintry Mix and Potentially Icy Roads Expected Overnight
According to the National Weather Service, snow, freezing rain and sleet are expected overnight, before 4 a.m., then freezing rain and sleet. Low around 29. The chance of precipitation is 90 percent with little or no ice accumulation expected. New snow and sleet accumulation of less than a half inch possible.
Tomorrow (Saturday): Freezing rain is forecast before 10 a.m., then rain likely between 10 a.m. and 1 p.m. Saturday’s high will be near 40. The chance of precipitation is 80 percent with little or no ice accumulation expected.
Ice may coat some roadways causing slippery travel conditions overnight and into tomorrow. Please use extra caution while driving.
Other driving tips include:
- Clear the snow and icefrom your vehicle’s roof, hood and trunk and especially from the windows, mirrors and lights.
- Always wear your seat belt.
- Leave a few minutes early.
- Be aware of potentially icy areas such as shady spots and bridges.
- Keep a safe distance of at least five seconds behind other vehicles.
Get road updates from the Virginia Department of Transportation at 511 Virginia.