Government Offices, Schools and Courthouse Open on Monday
7:45 p.m. update: the Courthouse is scheduled to open on time on Monday.
County government offices and public schools are scheduled to be open on time on Monday. The status of the Courthouse will be determined later today.
County Executive Anthony Griffin also has lifted the local emergency declaration for Fairfax County. Yesterday’s, declaration was an administrative tool to allow the county to apply for federal/state reimbursements as needed.
Parking is now allowed on roads marked as a “snow emergency route.” These routes can be found at http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/emergency/emergency-routes.htm.
While Hurricane Irene has passed through our area, high winds are forecast until this evening, but no rain is expected today, according to National Weather Service forecasts.
To help you recover from the storm, here are safety tips and resources:
- Stay away from downed wires near downed trees. Electricity can travel through tree limbs. Never remove tree limbs or other items that are touching or near a downed wire.
- Call the county’s non-emergency number at 703-691-2131 (TTY 711) to report any downed power lines or trees in the road. Please do not report these issues to the county using social media, such as Facebook and Twitter.
- To find out when your power may be restored, do not call the county’s non-emergency number or 9-1-1 Instead, contact your electric company.
- If you smell gas, leave the building and call 9-1-1 immediately.
- Call these numbers to call to report downed trees based on their location.
- For a complete listing of road closures in Fairfax County, visit http://www.511virginia.org/RoadConditions.aspx?j=Fairfax+(County)&r=1.
- Take precautions to ensure food safety.
- If you have concerns regarding the safety of your building, contact your insurance company, a structural engineer or a licensed contractor.
- To find out if your repairs require a permit, or call the Permit Application Center at 703-222-1082 (TTY 711) during regular business hours.