Do Not Drive Into Flooded Areas
As the storm slowly passes our area, flooding or standing water may be an issue on some roads. We remind you to stay indoors tonight, but if you have to travel outdoors in the next few hours or when you wake up in the morning, please keep these tips in mind:
- “Turn around, don’t drown.”
- If floodwaters rise around your car, abandon the car and move to higher ground if you can do so safely. You and the vehicle can be quickly swept away.
- Six inches of water will reach the bottom of most passenger cars causing loss of control and possible stalling.
- A foot of water will float many vehicles.
- Two feet of rushing water can carry away most vehicles including sport utility vehicles (SUVs) and pick-ups.
- Additional flood safety tips.
VDOT Driving in the Rain video: