Building Safety Tips Following Yesterday’s Earthquake
In response to yesterday’s earthquake, Fairfax County recommends the following building safety tips:
· If you smell gas, leave the building or area, and call your gas company and 9-1-1 immediately.
· Commercial buildings: If you have concerns regarding the safety of your building, please contact your building’s engineer, a structural engineer or licensed contractor.
· Residential buildlngs: please survey your home for new cracks in brick facades, foundation/basement wall and interior finishes around opening for windows and doors. If you question your home’s structural stability, please contact a structural engineer or licensed contractor.
· If the findings indicate an unsafe condition, please call the public safety non-emergency line at 703-631-2131, TTY 711.
· Questions related to permitting of repairs should be directed to the Permit Application Centerat 703-222-1082, TTY 711.