Preparing for a Hurricane
When a Hurricane is Approaching
- To help keep food cold for several hours if the power goes out, fill plastic containers with water, leaving about an inch of space inside each one (remember, water expands as it freezes). Place the containers in the refrigerator and freezer. This chilled or frozen water will help keep food cold for several hours if the power goes out.
- Fill your bathtub with water to use for toilet flushing in case water is unavailable following a storm.
- Bring in garbage cans, lawn furniture and other items that could blow away.
- Fill your car’s gas tank. Gas stations will be in short supply in a power outage.
About Fairfax County Emergency InformationOfficial emergency information about preparedness, response and recovery from Fairfax County Government.
- There are no active watches, warnings or advisories
Twitter UpdatesMy Tweets
View Posts By Category
Fairfax County Police Department News
SULLY DISTRICT STATION UNLAWFUL ENTRY: 4100 block of Chantilly Lace Court, 5/19/17 around 4:30 a.m. An investigation determined a man entered a home through an unlocked door. A 24-year-old woman inside became frightened and ran out of the home. Officers checked the area but did not locate the suspect. He was described as black, between […]
Reston Police District – Fairfax County Commonwealth’s Attorney, Raymond F. Morrogh, informed Colonel Edwin C. Roessler Jr., Chief of Police, on Friday, May 19 that he found no basis for criminal liability on the part of the officer involved in the deployment of deadly force on January 16 at 13316 Covered Wagon Lane, in Herndon. […]
ALCOHOL ENFORCEMENT There will be a sobriety checkpoint in the Mason Police District tomorrow, May 20, between 11 p.m. and 2 a.m. Please drive sober and stay safe! SULLY DISTRICT STATION LARCENIES: 6500 block of Bull Run Woods Trail, license plate from vehicle STOLEN VEHICLES: None reported MOUNT VERNON DISTRICT STATION MALICIOUS WOUNDING/ASSAULT/ARREST: 7200 block […]
Franconia Police District – On Monday, May 15, around 1:20 p.m., we responded to the 7200 block of Hansford Court in Springfield for a report of a burglary. The victim, a 48-year-old woman, saw a man standing on the second floor of her residence. She screamed and the suspect ran out of the house. The […]
West Springfield Police District – Detectives are asking for the public’s help in identifying a man who secretly recorded females inside a Walmart, located at 6000 Burke Commons Road, on Sunday, May 14 around 11 a.m. An investigation determined the suspect used a recording device to unlawfully record up the dresses of a 10-year-old girl […]