Earthquake Preparedness Tips
Since it is not possible to predict when an earthquake will occur, it is essential that you and your family are prepared ahead of time.
- Securely fasten shelves to walls.
- Keep large or heavy objects on lower shelves.
- Store breakable items in lower cabinets with doors and latches.
- Inspect and repair electrical wiring and gas connections; these can be potential fire hazards during an earthquake.
- Secure your water heater by strapping it to wall studs and bolting it to the floor.
- Check your home or building for structural defects and repair cracks in your ceiling and foundation.
- Keep toxic and flammable items securely stored in cabinets with doors and latches.
- Identify safe places in your home or office where you will ride out an earthquake. The best protection is under heavy furniture where you are protected from falling debris.
- Learn how to turn off electricity, gas and water.
- Get an emergency supply kit.